A home for new & old, rare & not so rare, good music & ...well just a bunch of good records you should listen to.

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Best Stevie Wonder Songs that Stevie Wonder Never Made

Anyone who knows me knows I love Stevie Wonder... I even met him one time in a studio supply shop on Sunset.
Having exhausted the Stevie Wonder catalog, which contains many gems, once in a while I happen across a tune that has that certain Stevie Wonder sound.



The first one up came as quite a surprise.... Past Due records out of Chicago, a Fantastic label under the Still Music family of labels, recently released their 2nd reissue of songs by the D.I.T. Band... Also known as Destiny In Time, this band released several 7"s and a 12" in the late 70's/early 80's... I have a few of their releases in my collection... so when I saw this latest release with a Prins Thomas remix of one of their more up tempo dance tunes I wasn't all that excited at first.... until I got to the song on the EP titled "Get It Together"... immediately visions of Stevie started to flow through my head.... what a brilliant tune with a distinct Stevie Wonder sound.


Second up is a tune that was introduced to me and many others by Theo Parrish... I still get asked to ID this tune and everyone is always as surprised as I was to find out that it is by The Gap Band... from their first (Self Titled) album.


The song I'm talking about is, of course, "Out Of The Blue (Can You Feel It)"


The last Stevie (Not Stevie) tune that comes to my mind is even more obscure than the D.I.T. Band. Black Giant Records out of Chicago, which is best known to collectors for the Jim Manns 12" "I Got To Have Your Love" (which is actually a cover of Norman Brown's "Sugar"), also had some even lesser known 7" releases. One of which is Jerome Rogers "Decision Is Yours". This tune is basically "Superstition" with all new lyrics... a great tune and sounds very much like Stevie himself doing an alternate version! it's very unfortunate that the pressing is bad, which is probably why this was gifted to me by the (in)famous digger Dante Carfagna (who btw has a brand new "loner mix" on Shadows site).
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any audio but here is a scan of the record.



If anyone has anymore Stevie (not Stevie) tunes please post them!! Or contact me so I can hunt them down.
thx. klas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment